The easiest cake to make and very nourishing… refreshing, light & full of tangy, citrusy goodness.
The cake holds its form super well, unlike lots of other gluten free baking options.
A great go to when after a quick and fool proof cake for morning tea shout etc. The polenta is an Italian twist adding a delish gritty texture.
- Gluten Free
- Refined sugar free
- 200 grams ground almonds
- 100 grams instant polenta
- 200 grams butter, melted
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 120 grams coconut sugar
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of 2 large lemons
- 1 ½ tablespoon Settlers Honey Makowhai Multifloral MGO 100+ (or your favourite Settlers Honey)
- Preheat oven to 180degrees bake and line/lightly grease a cake tin.
- Cream butter and sugar using egg beater for a few minutes. Fold in eggs.
- Combine ground almonds, polenta, sifted baking powder & lemon zest. Fold in butter and sugar mix to form your cake batter and pour into your cake tin to spread evenly. Pop into the oven and bake for 35-40 mins until a skewer comes out clean. Careful not to overcook! It may look a little more underdone than you’re used to with other cakes.
- Meanwhile, gently heat your lemon juice and honey in a small sauce pan to combine.
- Carefully poke lots of little holes into cake. I use a skewer for this. Evenly pour the syrup over the entire cake and allow cake to absorb this before removing from tin.
- Delish as is or served with yoghurt (or coconut yoghurt). Best eaten same day but will keep in airtight container for a good few days.